Search This Blog

14 Jul 2013

Work Experience 101





Finding work experience is ridiculously hard, but it can help give you that extra 'oomph' when applying for university. Especially when you might be one of up to 10 candidates fighting it out for one place, you'll need all the help you can get...




Step 1  : Write CV and Cover letter.

Your CV could include :



  • Profile- Who you are
  • Education - where you studies and qualifications 
  • Previous work experience 
  • Achievements 
  • Hobbies and Interests 
  • Referees 
Your cover letter: 
Tip: Keep it short and sweet. You are writing to as busy person, they don't have time to read your life story. Tell them what you want and why they should give it to you. Include what you want to gain out of the experience and dates of availability. 

Here is my example that worked for me , but you can adapt it however you want.

  
                                                                                                                   Your Name and Address



Address of Company/Firm/Hospital                              


Dear _________, <------------- try to get the persons name, if not sir/madame will do.

I would like to apply for a Work Experience placement at ­­­­­­­______________.
I have a great interest in medicine and I am trying to gain work experience that will help confirm my career choice. 
I am writing to this hospital specifically as I would like to see what makes a good doctor and due to your excellent reputation I feel ­___________ is the best place to do so. I feel that the opportunity to work at _____________will give me crucial and relevant insight into the working environment of medicine.

 I understand that doctors are busy so I have tried to be as flexible as possible. I have listed my date of availability below:

Christmas Holidays- 31st December 2012-6th January 2013
February Half Term-  18th February -24th February 2013.

I would be grateful if you could let me know if this is possible. Please contact me on:
n*************@gmail.com  < make you contact details clear
0208 *******

Yours _______________, <'Sincerely' if you named the person. 'Yours Faithfully' if it is Sir/Madame.


- Sign Name 

Step 2  : Post or Email.
Do this for LOTS of places. (I did 7 hospitals and 5 GP's)

Step 3: Follow Up Calls (show some determination and initiative)

I think this is a MUST. If they don't reply to you it probably means you letter is somewhere under a huge pile of work. Even if they do want to take you they may have forgotten and misplaced you letter and your call will remind them. Usually they will always reply (even if like Barnet and Chase Farm Hospital it is  8 weeks later) because they don't want their institution to look bad. If someone writes you a letter it is common courtesy to respond!
Unfortunately you'll have to go through many rejections before someone accepts you but DON'T give up.

So be brave, don't be scared can pick up that phone!
Good Luck Everyone !

Till next time,


~N



No comments: