Search This Blog

24 Sept 2013

Real Techniques Review - Starter Set


Hey people! So being completely and utterly obsessed with make-up (like I am), seeing another review on the Real Techniques make up brushes is probably not a surprise, but I figured I might as well put my two pence in! So, if for some reason you do happen to live under a rock, Samantha Chapmanmake up guru extraordinaire, from Youtube channel “Pixiwoo” created a series of makeup brushes in collaboration with the makers of EcoTools. I intended on making this a short entry, but I can already see that that’s out of the window! Because I don't want this to be too long, I'm going to focus mainly on the 'Starter Set' - Enjoy!

Base shadow brush
So this brush is pretty much self-explanatory. Basically, it's used to apply a smooth foundation of eye shadow - what I like mainly about this brush is that it works just as well with powder eye shadows as it does with cream ones. I've used it with the likes of Sleek eye shadow palettes as well as Maybelline Colour Tattoos and it works equally well with both! Also, as a given with any RT brushes, it's (mind blowing-ly) soft, easy to use, easy to clean and does not shed! 5*s from me! 

Deluxe crease brush
OMG! This brush is so damn amazing, I just...I can't even! It's beautifully dense but easy enough to blend and just the right size to fit in the socket in order to blend properly. There's not much else to say to be honest! Regardless of the product, it's so easy to blend without having to be too heavy-handed and the job is basically done for you. I would recommend this brush to anyone who is getting started with eye make-up and is working on blending. Love it! 

*Btw, depending on the size of your eye sockets (that sounds so weird), you can swap the two above brushes and use the deluxe crease as a base brush and vice versa as both brushes are VERY similar.* 

Accent brush
Ok, now I may just be quite dense, but I'm still trying to work out the point of this brush! Maybe because I've already got the 'detailer brush' from the Core Set, I have no specific use for this brush, but i'm told that it can be used to place product before blending...I just don't see it working! Basically...I'm baffled :/

Pixel- point eyeliner brush
For someone who does not really use gel eyeliner, this brush does not appear to have much use. I can't deny however, that it is still a really nice brush and I can see it being useful and easy to use. I've tried it once with a gel eyeliner by Maybelline, and it seemed to work nicely but I find that because it's not very dense, it's quite hard to get a straight line. 

*I apologise for the crap photo quality, the lighting changed drastically and so I had to make do with what I had :/*

Brow brush
Erm, I'm a bit on the fence with this brush. On one hand I love how it can make my eyebrows look, on the other, I don't. Basically, It's a slanted brow brush that can be used to define brows. I like how it doesn't give a ridiculously dramatic look and doesn't overload on product to make the brows look unrealistic. However, I find that it is not precise enough, so whilst it makes my eyebrows look thicker, it doesn't do much for definition.

Ok, so there's my 'short' review on the Starter Set, I hope you enjoyed that. There should be a review on the 'Core Set' out soon.
Manny! xx



  

No comments: